I love taking photos like this – soft, ethereal/otherworldly – of flowers. To me, this is the heart and soul of flowers; how they appear to other flowers and the insects that pollinate them. This was an in-camera double exposure of some purple irises and orange lilies that I had bought at Trader Joe’s.
Camera settings were:
- ISO: 100
- Aperture: f/2.8
- Shutter Speed: 0.5
- Lens: “Old School” Sigma 50mm macro (manual focus)
This is another hybrid processing/styling photo. I started in Lightroom and only checked the box for Chromatic Aberration as there was a small amount on the tip of the stamen facing left. I then used Google Nik Collection’s Define 2 to get rid of any noise. I then went to use Viveza 2 but was not happy with the way the left hand side (light blue area) looked; I canceled and went back to Lightroom where I cropped the photo to a 3:2 ratio – I liked the composition much better.
I went back into Viveza 2 and made a few subtle changes.
I then went into Color Efex Pro 4 and went through my recipes and ended up modifying one to where I used Sunlight and Detail Extractor. Again, it was a subtle difference and Detail Extractor was applied only to the two main stamens.
I then decided to play around with the photo in Analog Efex Pro. I liked the look but wanted the stamens to remain more the focus. I was getting tired of sitting in front of the laptop so I copied the files to my DropBox folder and then turned off the computer (after the files had synced).
On my iPad mini I decided to try blending the two photos together, but I never could get a look that zinged me. I then opened PhotoToaster and started playing around with the Vignette(s); after trying each one I finally ended up using Large Black.
I then started playing around with the textures and finally settled on Stucco, once I lowered the strength. It kind of reminded me of the drive-in movie days.
I was now ready to add my logo/watermark, metadata and StegoMark in iWatermark +.
To get the image ready to post on Instagram I used Insta Full Size and selected the black borders.
The final step was creating the Before and After photo in Leonardo.
List of software/apps used in this post and their links in the iTunes store…
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
- Dfine2 (part of the Google Nik Collection)
- Viveza 2 (part of the Google Nik Collection)
- Color Efex Pro 4 (part of the Google Nik Collection)
- Analog Efex Pro 2 (part of the Google Nik Collection)
- Photo Toaster
- iWatermark +
- Insta Full Size
Products used in this post (amazon.com affiliate links unless otherwise noted)…
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 16MP Live MOS Mirrorless Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen [Body Only] Silver (not affiliate link as this model has been discontinued)
- Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon Lens to Micro Four Thirds Cameras
- Sigma Fixed/Prime 50mm f/2.8 Macro MF Manual Focus (search results on ebay)