While camping (RVing) at Carpinteria State Park, Sept. of 2009, I went out for a (relatively) early walk along the Carpinteria Bluffs Trail and came upon this scene at 8:53 a.m. While looking for another photo recently I came across this one which I never got around to processing.
My plan was to process this as a photo…not create digital art, but that’s what happened. After transferring to my iPad mini I started by changing the color using LUTs in iColorama; I used 6/130.
Wanting the rays to be the yellow I remember them being I then used Tone>Enhance>Preset>10/27.
Wanting the leaves and grass to be green (as I was planning on merging/blending the two versions together) I then used Tone>Enhance>Preset>1/27.
When I tried to merge/blend the yellow version with the green version, I wasn’t happy with the way the color was appearing on the left hand side; it was a muddy, yukky darkish yellow gold. I decided to go in a different direction.
I tapped on Style, then Flow and liked the results of Preset 1/8. I left the settings at their default values.
It was at this point that I knew it was going into another direction – either fantasy or sci-fi. While still in the Style menu I tapped on the Coherence sub-menu and used Preset 1/11 and changed the Mode to Multiply.
I then decided to try some of the Water presets (also found in the Style sub-menu). I liked, and used, Preset 1/7.
At this point I was ready to try playing with some of the Light presets, unfortunately because of the size of the photo the app kept crashing. I decided to go in a different direction. I tapped on Form>Deforms and went through the first two before selecting Preset 3/39. I loved the look of the orb but I also wanted the background showing; I needed to create a circular shape mask to make that happen.
While playing around in Effects>Light (when they kept crashing my iPad mini) one of the one’s that didn’t crash the app was Preset>10/63. I thought this was a perfect time to add it.
I then started playing around in the Texture>Noises sub-menu. I found that Preset>22/28 enhanced the light rays on the left of the orb.
One of the other Light Effects that didn’t crash the app was Preset>8/63. With the circular mask still in place I tapped on the Preset and liked the result.
One of the things I didn’t like about the effect was how much lighter it made the outer area of the photo. I decided to blend it with the result of Style>Water>Preset>1/7. With the orb version on the bottom layer I had to create a mask to bring back the part(s) I wanted.
Realizing that it wasn’t worth getting frustrated about (the app crashing with the light effects) I decided to use the app Alien Sky. I used three layers consisting of:
- Lightning 2 – rotated/sized/positioned
- Dust Rings – rotated/sized/positioned/mask
- Green Planet – rotated/sized/positioned
Earlier on in the process I kept thinking about using Reflect app for adding water to the bottom of the photo. It was now time. I chose the Water>Mirror Lake 1 preset.
I was now ready to add my logo/watermark, metadata and StegoMark in iWatermark+.
To get the image ready to post on Instagram I used Insta Full Size and selected the black borders.
The final step was creating the Before and After photo in Leonardo.
List of apps used in this post and their links in the iTunes store…
Products used in this post (amazon.com affiliate links unless otherwise noted)…