Bedtime Story

A couple of weekends ago when my friend and I were walking across the Arroyo in Simi Valley, we noticed this door that was caught up in the water. Since it was an overcast morning I was able to slow down the shutter speed enough to capture the water movement. It was now time to see what I could do to this photo.

Original, unprocessed photo taken with the Olympus OM-D EM-5

Original, unprocessed photo taken with the Olympus OM-D EM-5

 

 

I started in TouchRetouch HD to get rid of some distracting elements in the water, and some of the brighter rocks.

After removing distracting elements

After removing distracting elements

 

 

I then went into iColorama to “have some fun”. First stop was seeing what “Coherence” would do to the photo. I ended up using 1/11 with a “Normal” blend mode. I also masked out the door as I had other plans for it.

Adding Coherence 1/11 in iColorama

Adding Coherence 1/11 in iColorama

 

I next played with LUTS to add some coloring, the door was still masked out. I decided on 22/121 and adjusted the Saturation slider to 0.30 and adjusted Lightness also to 0.30.

Adding LUTS 22/121 in iColorama

Adding LUTS 22/121 in iColorama

 

It was now time to play with the “Touch” door. I went to Effects>Sharpen, tapped on the Brush Mask icon, then tapped on Invert and then I went through the different sharpen presets before settling on 5/7 with a Radius of 1.00.

Sharpening the door

Sharpening the door

 

I was liking the painterly look of the background with the sharp door. For the heck of it I went into Adjust>HDR and played around with the presets. I used 4/8 and adjusted Brightness to 0.00, Exposure to 0.00 and Bleach also to 0.00.

Adding HDR in iColorama

Adding HDR in iColorama

 

 

My imagination kicked into high gear now. It looked like something from a distant time, in a distant place and was ripe for some fantasy. I went through several apps with lighting effects but nothing was giving me what I wanted. I then tried SpaceEffect FX Pro HD and that was where I found a Glow that added the look…counting the glow effects I came up with 53 of 128 – the one that I used.

Adding Glow FX 53 of 128

Adding Glow FX 53 of 128

 

 

It was now in need of some fantasy characters which meant it was time for MasterFX!! I used two layers, one layer was Unicorn21 and I lowered the Opacity to about 80%, the other layer was Fairylily6 and again I dropped the Opacity to about 80%. I also sized and positioned them where I wanted them.

(Forgot to take a screen shot) Adding Unicorn and Fairy in MasterFX

(Forgot to take a screen shot) Adding Unicorn and Fairy in MasterFX

 

 

I didn’t feel like masking out part of the Unicorn so that the light could shine through, so I opened the saved image into SpaceEffects FX Pro HD again and added the same Glow effect, this time I made it larger and rotated it a bit.

Adding Glow 53 of 128 again

Adding Glow 53 of 128 again

 

 

I was now ready to add my logo/watermark in iWatermark.

Adding my logo/watermark in iWatermark

Adding my logo/watermark in iWatermark

 

The final step was creating the Before and After photo in Leonardo.

Bedtime Story - Before and After

Bedtime Story – Before and After

 

 

List of apps used in this post and their links in the iTunes store…

 

Products used in this post (amazon.com affiliate links unless otherwise noted)…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s