I love little hummingbirds, even more when I have a camera…and its a high contrast scene. One of the cuties was taking a break in the tree in our backyard and since I was already out there taking pictures of other things, I was prepared with my Sony HX-1. Here’s the original high contrast photo.
I also like to take out of focus photos to use as backgrounds. The one below was taken of a flower growing on a vine from my neighbors yard.
I decided to see what I could come up with by combining them. I started in Snapseed with the hummingbird photo. I used the Black & White module to make it even more contrast-y. The settings I used were:
- Brightness: 65
- Contrast: 25
- Grain: 0
For the out of focus image I used Tune Image with the following settings:
- Brightness: 25
- Ambiance: 50
- Contrast: 0
- Saturation: 0
- Shadows: 25
- Warmth: 5
I then went into iColorama to do some painting on the branches to fill in some open spots and to paint out some distractions in the light areas.
I was now ready to blend the two images together. With an idea of how I wanted it to look, I went through each of the blending modes before settling on Exclusion.
My next step was going into Mextures. I went through all my imported Formula Codes, then went through some I’ve created; nothing was working the way I wanted. I ended up creating a 4 layer formula (Formula Code: GKJHEIF). If you want to try it for yourself, here are the 4 layers and their settings:
- Hard Light
- Bokeh Baby
My next step was going back into iColorama to blend the Mextures result (bottom layer) with the iColorama Exclusion blend version (top layer). Settings were:
- Opacity: 0.50
- I then clicked on Settings and adjusted the Lightness (max amount), red, green and blue sliders until I had the look I wanted.
While I liked the look, I thought the bird and tree branches looked flat. To take care of that problem I used Effects>Raise and used preset 3/5 and upped the Size to 0.60. I really liked the painterly look it now had, an unexpected surprise!
I was now ready to add my logo/watermark in iWatermark.
The final step was creating the Before and After photo in Leonardo.
List of apps used in this post and their links in the iTunes store…
Products used in this post (amazon.com affiliate links unless otherwise noted)…